Wednesday, August 7, 2013


Guys. I hope you know that my willingness to share this post is an extremely humble act on my part (As seen by the blatant bragging about my humility. Obviously.). Though it has taken me about an hour of staring at the publish button, almost backing out a thousand times, I am sharing with you a secret that I have held for years: ...this famous recipe that isn't even mine.


Butter Bars. I'll give you one guess as to who's original recipe this is (cough..PaulaDeen..cough). If you ever have to impress someone: a boyfriend's mom, a teacher, really any creature that possesses tastebuds: Butter Bars are your best friend. They are SERIOUS crowd-pleasers. I found the recipe in sixth grade, and have since made these deep-south squares of heaven for almost everyone I've ever known. I've been known for "my" famous Butter Bars. Little did most people know... They weren't mine. And they're the easiest recipe ever.


Super-Magic-Dream-Time Butter Bars

Crust:
1 18 1/4-ounce package yellow cake mix (I used vanilla for this go-around, but yellow is usually best)
1 egg
8 tablespoons butter, melted

Filling:
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened 
2 eggs 
1 teaspoon vanilla 

8 tablespoons butter, melted 

1 16-ounce box powdered sugar



Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well with an electric mixer (or a whisk if you're looking for a workout... It doesn't make a difference in the final turnout!)


Next, pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13 by 9-inch baking pan.

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth.  Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter and beat together. 
Next, add the powdered sugar and mix well.  Spread over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.  Make sure not to over bake as the center should be a little gooey.



Presto! Take em out of the oven, let them cool for about 10-15 minutes (this is important because it causes the filling to set), and cut them into whatever-size squares your little heart fancies!

PLEASE do yourself a favor and make a batch. Then eat one. Or two... Or three... Then do yourself another favor and take a nap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment